Spousal Sponsorship - Visarete

Spousal Sponsorship - Visarete


Bring your loved ones to Canada
If you are a Citizen or Permanent resident of Canada, and wish to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and dependent children to Canada it can be done through spousal sponsorship program. Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet certain requirements to qualify.

Who can sponsor?

  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

Who can apply as a sponsored person?

Through sponsorship spouse and partners get permanent resident status in Canada, however there are certain eligibility criteria for them.

  • They should be at least 18 years of age and must not be inadmissible to Canada.
  • Their marriage should be legal.
  • Common law partners must have been living with the sponsor for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.
  • Conjugal partners must have been in a relationship with the sponsor for at least 1 year and must be unable to either live with or marry their sponsor because of significant legal and immigration reasons (ie: where same sex relationships are illegal, conjugal partners would be unable to marry or live together).

For a child to be considered as dependent child they should be under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common law partner. Children over the age of 22 may still qualify as dependents if they are financially dependent on a parent due to a physical or mental condition and they have depended on their parent for financial support since before the age of 22.