Immigration consultant for spousal sponsorship in Ajax Ontario

Immigration consultant for spousal sponsorship in Ajax Ontario

Visarete Immigration Agency is a certified Canadian immigration consultant based in Toronto. An organization that helps people from all over the world migrate to Canada. We are a well-known, dynamic, and successful organization established in Toronto. Settling in a new country is a life-changing event. visarete helps you navigate the complex and often changing rules of immigration. Our goal is simple: to bring your project to immigrate, work, invest, or study in Canada from dream to reality. Whether you are a skilled worker, a business owner, a recent graduate, or criminally inadmissible; Canada can become your new home.

Many foreign nationals chasing their dreams are wondering how to immigrate to Canada. However, the Canadian government’s rules for settling here are complex and hard to navigate. Put our immigration expertise and legal services to work for your project. We’ll verify your eligibility for the available work or study permit applications and find the most suitable Canadian immigration program for you.

IRCC aims to process 80% of applications across all lines of business within service standards. Service standards are the amount of time that the department has judged to be reasonable to decide on an application. Service standards vary depending on the type of application. For example, at the time of writing, Express Entry applications have a service standard of six months while family class sponsorship applications for permanent residence can take up to 12 months. This is a long time for Canadian citizens/PRs to wait to be reunited with their families, leading many to look for faster options to bring their spouse or partner to Canada. Fortunately, IRCC gives applicants two options that may help them bring their spouse or partner to Canada sooner than expected.

Option 1: Open Work Permits

To be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP), spouses, common-law partners, and marital partners who are being sponsored for permanent residence in Canada must meet the following criteria:

  • Be able to prove a genuine relationship with their sponsor
  • Be included in an application for permanent residence, and have an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) letter confirming that their permanent residence application is being processed
  • Be living in Canada with their sponsor


Processing Time: IRCC currently has a service standard of 60 days to issue final decisions for all new work permit applications. In addition to following the main steps to apply for a work permit, there are extra steps to this process that vary depending on an applicant’s specific situation.

Option 2: Visitor Visa

In general, eligibility for a Visitor Visa – also referred to as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – first requires the applicant to meet the following general requirements:

  • Have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • Be in good health
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country and that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • Have enough money for your stay (the amount needed to satisfy this requirement will change depending on how long the applicant will stay in Canada and whether they will stay in a hotel or with friends/relatives)

Processing Time: At the time of writing, IRCC has a service standard of 14 days for processing new visitor visa applications submitted outside Canada. Some applicants may also need a medical exam and a letter of invitation from a Canadian resident. For those looking to “visit a “spouse or partner who has sponsored [them] for permanent residence”, IRCC indicates that applicants may also need a combination of the following documents to support their application:

  • A Proof of Relationship Document: To be submitted with the visa application, this document proves the applicant’s relationship with the person or family member inviting them to Canada. Acceptable documents may include a marriage certificate or a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409)
  • An Identity Document: To be submitted with the visa application, valid passports or travel documents can be used to prove your identity (whichever document will be used to travel to Canada)
  • A Family Information Document: To be submitted with the visa application, this form must be completed by every visa applicant who is 18 years of age or older.
  • The Use of a Representative Form, if applicable: To be submitted with the visa application, this form must be completed any time a family member or third party applies on behalf of the principal applicant

According to IRCC, not all the documents above or those listed on its visitor visa webpage are required, some are optional. IRCC also notes that submitting all listed documents does not guarantee approval of an application.