Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Brings your elders to Canada

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their parents and grandparents of and help them become Canada’s permanent residents. They may be eventually able to apply for Canadian Citizenship.

To sponsor your parents or grandparents you must,

• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;

• Be 18 years of age or older;

• Be residing in Canada (potential applicants will need to provide a proof of status during the Interest to Sponsor phase);

• Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both the sponsor and spouse can be included) and provide proof of income to IRCC; and

• Sign an undertaking

o to financially support the sponsored for 20 years (starting when they become permanent residents); and

o to repay any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable) for a period of 20 years.

o If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional "undertaking" must be signed with the province of Quebec.

To support their sponsorship application applicants need to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)