I want to sponsor

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor your family members to come to Canada. Learn more about Canada's many immigration options designed to keep families together!

Get Started

Spousal Sponsorship >>

If you are a Citizen or Permanent resident of Canada, and wish to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and dependent children to Canada it can be done through spousal sponsorship program. Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet certain requirements to qualify.

Who can sponsor?

• You must be 18 years of age or older.

• You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.

• You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.

• You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

Who can apply as a sponsored person?

Through sponsorship spouse and partners get permanent resident status in Canada, however there are certain eligibility criteria for them.

• They should be at least 18 years of age and must not be inadmissible to Canada.

• Their marriage should be legal.

• Common law partners must have been living with the sponsor for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship

• Conjugal partners must have been in a relationship with the sponsor for at least 1 year and must be unable to either live with or marry their sponsor because of significant legal and immigration reasons (ie: where same sex relationships are illegal, conjugal partners would be unable to marry or live together).

For a child to be considered as dependent child they should be under the age of 22 and do not have a spouse or common law partner. Children over the age of 22 may still qualify as dependents if they are financially dependent on a parent due to a physical or mental condition and they have depended on their parent for financial support since before the age of 22.

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship >>

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their parents and grandparents of and help them become Canada’s permanent residents. They may be eventually able to apply for Canadian Citizenship.

To sponsor your parents or grandparents you must,

• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;

• Be 18 years of age or older;

• Be residing in Canada (potential applicants will need to provide a proof of status during the Interest to Sponsor phase);

• Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both the sponsor and spouse can be included) and provide proof of income to IRCC; and

• Sign an undertaking

o to financially support the sponsored for 20 years (starting when they become permanent residents); and

o to repay any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable) for a period of 20 years.

o If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional "undertaking" must be signed with the province of Quebec.

To support their sponsorship application applicants need to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)

Related Links